Example Stock Image of an Offshore Wind Farm
What are Offshore Wind Farms?
How Offshore Wind Farms Affect Marine Mammals
The carcass of a 30-foot humpback whale that washed up on a Strathmere beach on Sat., Dec. 10, 2022. (Photo courtesy of the Marine Mammal Stranding Center.)
The Connection to Beachings in NJ and Other Coastal Areas
What We Know About Wind Farms Now
Why we need Whales...Fun Facts
Whales play a crucial role in the ocean's carbon cycle. They help regulate the flow of carbon by consuming large amounts of plankton and other small marine organisms and then excreting nutrient-rich waste that fertilizes the growth of phytoplankton. These tiny plants absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere through photosynthesis, effectively storing carbon in the ocean.
Some whale species are known for their remarkable vocalizations, which can travel for hundreds of miles through the water. These songs are not just for communication but may also serve to attract mates or establish territory.
Many whale species are migratory, traveling long distances every year to reach their breeding and feeding grounds. For example, humpback whales migrate up to 16,000 miles annually, one of the longest migratory journeys of any animal on Earth.
Whales are incredibly social animals and often travel in pods or groups. These groups can include dozens or even hundreds of individuals and are thought to help with protection from predators and increase their chances of finding food.
In addition to their ecological importance, whales have played a significant role in human culture throughout history. From ancient times, whales have been hunted for their meat, oil, and other valuable resources. Today, whales are protected by international law, and many whale watching tours offer a unique opportunity to see these majestic creatures in their natural habitat.
Easy ways that YOU can Protect Our Oceans
As ocean lovers, we must take steps to protect our marine environment and the wildlife that calls it home. One way we can do this is by shopping sustainably. By choosing clothing made from eco-friendly materials and supporting companies like Tropical Seas, that prioritize sustainable manufacturing practices, we can help reduce the impact of human activities on the ocean and its inhabitants.
Additionally, we can minimize our plastic consumption and use biodegradable products whenever possible. We can also participate in beach cleanups and other ocean-saving initiatives, or even just spread awareness about the importance of protecting our seas by sharing this article on social media platforms. Let's all do our part to ensure a healthy and vibrant ocean for generations to come. Thank you for being an ocean lover!
Click here to fight for our beloved Marine Mammals
5 Sustainable Brands Helping Our Planet You Will Love
1. 4ocean - 4ocean is a for-profit company that aims to clean up the ocean by removing plastic and other debris from the ocean and coastlines, and recycling it into sustainable products. They also sell bracelets made from recycled materials to fund their cleanup efforts.
2. Tropical Seas - This clothing brand is dedicated to bringing awareness about dying coral reefs and ocean conservation. Tropical Seas donates 5% of their profits to ocean conservation and sponsors local community beach cleanups. All of their products are made through a sustainable manufacturing process with Premium Quality - Long lasting and Organic materials that do not harm the environment.
3. Tentree - Tentree plants 10 trees for every item purchased. This company uses organic, recycled and up-cycled materials to make their clothing. They also use sustainable packaging and carbon offset shipping services to reduce the environmental impact of their products. They are a company that is dedicated to protecting and preserving the environment.
4. Jetty - Jetty is a lifestyle brand that offers a range of products and apparel inspired by coastal living and the surfing culture. Its products include surfboards, clothing, accessories, and home goods designed for people who love the beach and ocean. Jetty has developed an Oyster Recycling Program which currently filters over 10,000,000 Gallons of water per day through their established oyster reefs.
5. Patagonia - Patagonia is an outdoor apparel company that has been producing sustainable and ethically-sourced clothing since 1973. Their commitment to sustainability includes using only recycled materials, renewable energy sources, and donating 1% of their profits to environmental causes. They also have a program called Worn Wear which allows customers to repair their own clothes or buy gently used items
The companies listed above as the "5 Sustainable Brands Helping Our Planet You Will Love" have no affiliation to this Specific Blog or The Good Vibe Tide Report
Kinda funny how the governor hasn’t made any press conferences about this situation. Oh, because he owns the company that is producing offshore windmills. How convenient.
Safe the whales & dolphins